• Welcome to the Online Discussion Groups, Guest.

Please introduce yourself here. We'd love to hear from you!

If you are a CompTIA member you can find your regional community here and get posting.

This notification is dismissable and will disappear once you've made a couple of posts.
  • We will be shutting down for a brief period of time on 9/24 at around 8 AM CST to perform necessary software updates and maintenance; please plan accordingly!

Governing The Future Of AI

These days, artificial intelligence (AI) is becoming our version of the deus ex machina, promising to swoop in and solve our most pressing business problems. But, like the Greek gods, AI can be fickle and fallible.
AI has the potential to significantly improve the way we make decisions. It can also make recommendations that are unfair, harmful, and fundamentally wrong. There are a lot of ways bias can make it into our models, from poor data quality to spurious correlations.
Fortunately, though, by applying technological, ethical, and legal governance around the development and use of AI, we can significantly reduce the impact of bias in our models. 
Forms of bias 
There are two main kinds of bias in AI. 
The first is algorithmic bias, which comes from poor or unrepresentative training data. If we’re training our models to make decisions for a set of people, for example, but our training data does not apply to that population, then our results are going to be off. The second is societal bias, which comes from our own personal biases, assumptions, norms, and blind spots. 
Predictive policing tools are a useful example of both types of bias. Location-based policing algorithms draw on data about events, places, and crime rates to predict when and where crimes will happen. Demographic-based algorithms use data about people’s age, gender, history of substance abuse, marital status, and criminal record to predict who might commit a crime in the future. Dozens of cities in the U.S. use PredPol and COMPAS, the most common of these tools.  
However, predictive policing tools sometimes produce racist results. If these models are fed using data that is biased against people of color, they will produce outcomes that echo the bias. If we don’t bake in layers of governance to limit this kind of bias, we could see—and in fact, we are seeing—devastating real-world consequences. 
Continue reading: https://www.forbes.com/sites/servicenow/2021/11/05/governing-the-future-of-ai/?sh=2c2643ec2d2a

Attachments

• p0005653.m05310.ai_follows.png
    p0005653.m05310.ai_follows.png
    576.6 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Kathleen Martin

Lawmakers Push DOD to Share its Data to Help U.S. Make AI Gains

Bipartisan legislation introduced on Thursday would direct the Defense Department to make libraries of its vast datasets publicly available and readily accessible via a strategic pilot program aimed at accelerating software and artificial intelligence capabilities development.
Proposed by Sens. Jacky Rosen, D-Nev., and Rob Portman, R-Ohio, with companion text in the House, the Advancing American AI Innovation Act comes as experts are raising concerns that the United States is losing ground to China and other competitors in the global rush to implement the evolving technology.
“The field of artificial intelligence and the role it plays in our nation’s security are rapidly changing and expanding,” Rosen said. “Creating these data libraries will provide an entire sector of small startups and existing data companies with the tools to create AI models that are in line with the capabilities and needs of the DOD.”
In recent months, former and current Pentagon officials have been transparent about China’s unsettling potential to outpace the U.S. in AI deployments within the not-so-distant future. The DOD’s latest report on the country’s military power released this week highlighted how China is seriously prioritizing and speedily producing AI and “intelligentized” technologies to empower its military and economy. The National Security Commission on AI—an independent cadre formed to advise Congress and the president on the technology—also warned this year that America must better prepare to compete against China in this space. 
AI and the emerging technologies associated with it work best with, and typically rely on, massive amounts of rich data. However, according to NSCAI’s research, government technologists are regularly denied access to software engineering tools and capabilities like vetted open-source support, software libraries, curated datasets, and infrastructures for large-scale collaboration. The federal digital workforce must gain enterprise-level technology assets that match those found in the private sector, the commission noted. 
Rosen and Portman said this bill was based on that recommendation. 
The notion is that positioning DOD’s data for increased access will help the public and private sectors synchronize their production of AI-driven resources that could impact the military, transportation, health care, manufacturing, national security policy and other realms. 
Continue reading: https://www.nextgov.com/emerging-tech/2021/11/lawmakers-push-dod-share-its-data-help-us-make-ai-gains/186659/

Attachments

• p0005652.m05309.860x394_6.jpg
    p0005652.m05309.860x394_6.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 41

These Asian American Women App Creators Are Changing The Face Of STEM

In light of National STEM/STEAM Day (Nov. 8) — a day set aside to encourage and educate kids about the fields of science, technology, engineering, art, and math — we’d like to spotlight a few amazing Asian American female STEM founders. After all, when we normally think of app creators and people, we don’t imagine an Asian American woman (or anyone other than a white or Asian dude) — and that’s a really big problem.
That’s why representation is so very important — especially on special days like National STEM/STEAM Day. Kids — regardless of gender — need to see examples of diverse people in STEAM. Whether it is to broaden our understanding of who can do what, or to help an underrepresented minority child see themselves in the future, we need to spotlight STEM leaders outside the dominant narrative.
To celebrate some of the innovators leading the way for women in technology, here are three awesome Asian American women (a kickass mom and two sisters) who can encourage and inspire us — as well as our children.
Continue reading: https://www.scarymommy.com/stem-asian-women-app-creators/

Attachments

• p0005651.m05308.asian_american_women_app_creators.jpg
    p0005651.m05308.asian_american_women_app_creators.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 38

11 Tips for Recruiting More Women in Tech

THE TECH INDUSTRY IS BOOMING, YET IT’S WELL-DOCUMENTED THAT IT’S STILL A LARGELY MALE-DOMINATED SPACE. THOUGH THERE ARE A LOT OF REASONS FOR THIS THAT MAY BE BEYOND OUR CONTROL AS HIRING MANAGERS, WE CAN TWEAK THE HIRING PROCESS IN ORDER TO BRING MORE WOMEN INTO THE TECH FOLD.
We sat down with Yael Sapir-Zehavi, the VP of Human Resources at Tailor Brands, to get her take. “There are a number of things we can do all along the hiring funnel in order to fix the biases that help to create the gender imbalance in high-tech,” Sapir-Zehavi begins, “starting with the top of the funnel.”
Be an Equal Company From the Start Addressing the top of the hiring funnel means answering the question: How do you get more qualified women to apply for positions in tech and come for interviews?
“If you’re a relatively small company like we are at Tailor Brands, you need to make sure you’re hiring professionals. This means we can’t implement affirmative action to balance the gender gap; we have to hire people with the right potential and experience,” Sapir-Zehavi acknowledges. “If you get to Tailor Brands, it means you have the right skills for the job.”
So what can you do to increase your chances of hiring women with relevant experience?
“You have to set yourself up as an equal company to begin with,” Yael says. Here’s how she suggests we go about it:
Set the same expectations for men and women This applies both to the way you treat employees as professionals, and to setting the expectations for a good work-life balance.
“For example, we believe in active parenting,” Sapir-Zehavi says. “It’s 2021, and it’s not only  mothers who want to participate in their children’s lives! If the standard is for parents to go home early from work so they can pick up their kids from kindergarten, then that acceptance needs to extend to men as well.”
When something is considered acceptable for men in the workplace, Zehavi explains, it makes it more comfortable for women by default. “It’s not just about helping men to be better dads; it also helps women to feel like they’re in an ecosystem that supports them as parents.” Being an equal company means creating a culture in which there’s no judgment on parents, regardless of their gender.
Establish a flexible landscape This, too, applies especially to employees who are parents. In this day and age, most women in high-tech are parents, and having a flexible work schedule allows parents to feel comfortable coming and going as they need to.
Mothers tend to need this type of scheduling flexibility and establishing your company as one that provides it will help parents to fit in better – making your company a more attractive option to mothers (or women who are thinking about having children in the future) as a result.
Continue reading: https://www.thehrdirector.com/features/recruitment/11-tips-for-recruiting-more-women-in-tech/

Attachments

• p0005650.m05307.technology_woman_2048x1367.jpg
    p0005650.m05307.technology_woman_2048x1367.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 46

How powerful women in tech are pushing for new work policies to prevent burnout

For months now we’ve all been reading the data about the setbacks this pandemic has inflicted on women’s equality in the workplace. It’s now a well-worn narrative: “COVID-19 has driven millions of women out of the workforce”; “Coronavirus sent women’s progress backward”; “The pandemic has derailed working mothers.” Like many women in tech, I’ve been scared and concerned for the women I work alongside, invest in, and mentor. I’d be lying if I didn’t admit I’ve also been concerned for myself—and for my daughter.
Recently one of the most put-together and productive women I know confessed to me that she’d finally reached her breaking point. She’s been holding it down with a high-level position in venture capital, two elementary school-aged children, and an equally busy spouse. She managed to keep juggling (and juggling, and juggling), but when we spoke she confided she had reached her limit. After a week of deadlines, drop-offs, and very (very) little sleep, she realized she felt so mentally drained that she didn’t even trust herself to get behind the wheel of her car to come to an in-person meeting.
With the efficiency of a working mother, she drew up a new plan for herself, took it to her boss, and said: “Here’s what things need to look like for this to work going forward.” Luckily, her firm implemented the changes—like no company-wide meetings after 4 p.m.—on the spot. No doubt, this woman is extraordinarily fortunate to find herself in the position to ask for these changes without risking her livelihood, a privilege not every working mother has. But we need women who are in positions of power to push for policies like this that will benefit everyone.
When I was pregnant with my second child, my friend and then COO at TaskRabbit Stacy Brown-Philpot told me to “ask for what you need.” This seemingly straightforward advice can feel daunting for many women, but this is how real change happens. Women advocating for themselves and their changing needs helps shape workplaces that work for all women.
I’ve heard many similar stories from women in tech over the past few months, from a high-powered working mom who threatened to walk away from her prestigious position unless flexible scheduling remained the company-wide policy post-pandemic, to a mid-level manager who proactively drafted and pitched a new family leave policy for her young company. I’ve heard stories from department heads mandating that all team meetings must accommodate school pickup and drop-off times, and stories of recruiters insisting on formal returnship programs to help talented candidates return to the workforce after taking parental leave. The stories are different, but the theme is the same: All across tech and business more generally, women leaders are identifying and removing the barriers that prevent them and their colleagues from staying in the workforce.
These stories have forced me to confront a question that’s been on my mind for some time. Is there a way the women in tech can weaponize the vulnerability we are all feeling in this moment to change the pandemic narrative from setback to victory? Put in less-diplomatic terms: Why shouldn’t women simply assume the authority to define the new normal?
In late September, yet another data point of the pandemic’s impact on women was released. “Women in the Workplace 2021,” the seventh such report produced by McKinsey in partnership with Leanin.org, confirms the idea that COVID-19 has been catastrophic for working women. This time, we learned that women are significantly more burned out than they used to be, and significantly more burned out than men. A full 42% of women surveyed (out of a pool of 65,000 total employees spanning 423 organizations) admit to being burned out.
Continue reading: https://www.fastcompany.com/90692205/women-tech-leaders-work-policies-new-normal

Attachments

• p0005648.m05305.p_1_women_tech_leaders_work_policies_new_normal.jpg
    p0005648.m05305.p_1_women_tech_leaders_work_policies_new_normal.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 35

Do you need third-party apps to update HomeKit device firmware?

On our most recent IoT Podcast, Sean called in to the voicemail hotline with a HomeKit question. He appreciates the ability to add HomeKit devices to his smart home directly through Apple’s Home app. He wants to know if the device maker’s applications are required to upgrade the firmware on those devices.
Unfortunately, the answer is yes. At least as of today.
It’s true that you don’t need to install any new apps to add a HomeKit device to your home. The provisioning functionality is essentially built in to the Apple Home app in iOS. And the Home app will tell you when there’s a firmware update for any of your connected devices.
That’s where the HomeKit worlds end, however. If one of your devices needs a firmware update, you have to have the device manufacturer’s mobile application for that device installed. And it’s from that application where you initiate the update.
I’ve seen this from my own HomeKit devices. Apple’s Home app told me that there was an Eve update available. I had to go into the Eve app to actually update the device.
So I still have most, if not all, of the third-party mobile software on my iPhone, mainly for this reason. However, I do have them hidden away so they’re not on my phone’s home screen. They’re available when I need them and out of sight when I don’t.
Continue reading and listen in: https://staceyoniot.com/do-you-need-third-party-apps-to-update-homekit-device-firmware/

Attachments

• p0005646.m05303.stacey_on_iot_logo_2.png
    p0005646.m05303.stacey_on_iot_logo_2.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 39

The Internet of Things (IoT) in Health Care

The Internet of Things (IoT) in the health care and medical industries is at an advanced stage in some areas and sorely lacking in others.
Some applications such as heart and other monitors provide major amounts of data to health care professionals. However, within hospital systems, silos of data and legacy equipment hamper the broad implementation of IoT in the sector — but that is changing fast. 
“There are more examples of IoT in health care/medical than one may realize, from sensors to collect temperature, blood pressure and other health metrics to multi-spectral sensors for X-ray, 2D, and 3D imaging,” said Greg Schulz, an analyst with StorageIO Group.
“It’s all about quickly getting health status, monitoring, trending, and analysis.”
5 IoT Health Care Examples
Health care is one of the key sectors driving innovation in the Internet of Things. With so much of annual GDP absorbed in health, there is enough revenue around to invest plenty of R&D dollars in medical IoT. A large number of startups have entered the space. 
“IoT is undoubtedly transforming the health care industry by redefining the space of devices and people interaction in delivering health care solutions,” said Rajashekhar Karjagi, head of analytics solutions at Wipro.
“IoT has applications in health care that benefit patients, families, physicians, hospitals, and insurance companies.”
See more: Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) Market
1. Digital Twins
Health care technology provider Ebenbuild has launched a research program to increase the odds of survival and recovery of those needing artificial ventilation due to acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS).
Developers optimized pre-trained artificial intelligence (AI) inference models to run on Intel hardware, accelerating performance of the computer vision cluster. A research program from Ebenbuild fuses patient data with machine learning (ML) algorithms and physics-based computer simulation fed by IoT sensors to build a digital twin of the lungs. By better understanding the human lung, physicians can personalize ventilation therapy to bring many more ARDS patients to a full recovery.
2. Ultrasounds
GE Healthcare provides the industry with intelligent devices, data analytics, applications, and services.
Its Versana Premier ultrasound system uses AI and IoT to provide two-dimensional images and sensitive flow signals.
It offers automated near-real-time image enhancement features, and labels the human tissues in an image with a method based on deep learning neural network technology. This makes it much easier for personnel without advanced training to use the equipment, helping to broaden access to high-quality medical resources in less-developed areas.
Continue reading: https://www.datamation.com/networks/internet-of-things-iot-health-care/

Attachments

• p0005645.m05302.irwan_iwe_rbde93_0hhs_unsplash_1024x768.jpg
    p0005645.m05302.irwan_iwe_rbde93_0hhs_unsplash_1024x768.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 40

The Internet of Things (IoT) in Automotive

The Internet of Things (IoT) in the automotive industry is probably at a more advanced stage than most other verticals. Car manufacturers have been putting sensors into cars for decades. With each passing year, they add more. 
“From entertainment, situational awareness (e.g., instruments, status, health, performance, location, tracking), autonomous and semi-autonomous operation, vehicles are a hot spot of technology, and IoT is in the middle of it,” said Greg Schulz, an analyst at StorageIO Group.
“Many vehicles leave the factory with internet-capable devices pre-installed and partially activated with capabilities to unlock, lock, and remote start as well as alerts and diagnostics. 
“In addition, those same devices can be used for enabling in-vehicle Wi-Fi hot spots for making calls, navigation, and other functions via your smart device.” 
6 IoT Automotive Examples
In many ways, the automotive sector is driving IoT innovation that then bleeds down into other areas. Why? Vehicle sales are worth billions annually and carmakers are using the IoT to add features that differentiate their cars from the competition. 
Let’s look at some ways IoT is being deployed in automotive today:
1.  Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS)
ADAS technology is being used by most vehicle manufacturers for collision avoidance, blind-spot monitoring, lane departure warnings, and park assist.
Synchronizing the operation of such systems, or sensor fusion, helps open the possibility of fully autonomous or self-driving vehicles that can monitor their surroundings and warn drivers of the potential road hazards and even take an evasive action to prevent a collision independently of the driver. If a driver is not present, the vehicle’s artificial intelligence (AI) can make optimal decisions.  
2. Object Recognition
Hamamatsu works with manufacturers to implement sensor technology, imaging, radar, and LiDAR (light detection and ranging) into advanced vehicles to help them differentiate and recognize objects ahead at high-speed conditions.
Using distance-gauging technology, the system must rapidly construct a 3D map up to a distance of about 100 meters as well as create high angular resolution imagery as much as a quarter mile in advance of the vehicle. 
Continue reading: https://www.datamation.com/networks/internet-of-things-iot-in-automotive/

Attachments

• p0005644.m05301.the_interior_of_an_autonomous_driverless_vehicle_1024x682.jpeg
    p0005644.m05301.the_interior_of_an_autonomous_driverless_vehicle_1024x682.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 45

AI, Data are Key to Future of High-Performance Computing

Teams across NASA and the Department of Labor are accelerating artificial intelligence and data capabilities to prepare for high-performance computing and supercharge existing tools and technologies, agency leaders said during GovernmentCIO Media & Research’s AI Gov: National Security virtual event last week.  
Krista Kinnard, Labor's chief of emerging technologies, said high-performance computing will help the agency accelerate forms processing. It also wants to boost natural language processing and data protection by leveraging lessons learned from agencies like NASA and the Defense Department.  
“What we’ve learned from these agencies around protecting privacy, protecting data, ensuring that data cannot be hacked, or leaked or altered in any way, is incredibly relevant to how we meet our mission,” Kinnard said.  
As agencies prepare for the “compute” stage, data serves as a foundational element and must be consumable by a model and stored in an accessible location, Kinnard said. Labor recently received a Technology Modernization Fund grant to accelerate the development of an enterprise approach to improving data quality and expanding the number of available data sets. 
By the end of this project, the agency will expand access to enterprise data sources, create data management capacity and securely share data. The project is enabling an evidence-based decision-making approach across enforcement, compliance, unemployment insurance and other mission areas.  
“The goal is to look across the organization and figure out how we can build out a robust data infrastructure to digitize, house, streamline that wrangling process of the data ... into data with structure, data we can get into a format that we can then ... aggregate to really glean insights and to really drive what those models need to really be the powerhouse they can be,” Kinnard said.  
NASA is also exploring how it can prepare data for analysis and AI models. Laura Carriere, the agency’s high-performance computing lead at its Center for Climate Simulation, said that ready data sets are critical to developing workflows.  
As NASA evaluates its data to make it accessible and operational in AI models, the agency is also advancing security measures to ensure bad actors cannot modify data to produce false or misleading research. To prevent threats, NASA runs regular tests on its data security to ensure data cannot be altered.  
“We have large data centers and programs with people that curate the data to put it in forms that’s easy to use, then we are increasingly putting data into the cloud to interrogate and build applications,” said Tsengdar Lee, program manager for NASA’s High-End Computing Program. “Certainly we are concerned with data integrity ... that could change the AI/ML model.” 
As Labor and NASA improve data access, curation and security, the agencies are looking to leverage tools like AI and machine learning to expedite these processes. At NASA, Carriere said that the agency is working to baseline network activity then apply machine learning to search for anomalies. 
“This can allow us to identify an external threat, bots, any sort of threat that comes that is doing activity that differs from the regular pattern, and ML is great for that,” Carriere added.  
Collaboration plays an integral role in high-performance computing innovation. Kinnard said that Labor is looking to private-public partnerships to share innovative technologies and best practices. NASA is also a member of a White House interagency working group on HPC.  
“We meet to discuss different technologies and initiatives, quantum computing, cloud computing, big data, all those research and development efforts,” Lee said. “It’s also a place where we coordinate ... among agencies.” 
Continue reading: https://governmentciomedia.com/ai-data-are-key-future-high-performance-computing

Attachments

• p0005643.m05300.istock_948285004.jpg
    p0005643.m05300.istock_948285004.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 38

Crypto queens: Women stake out space in blockchain world

As an artist and women's rights activist, Maliha Abidi is adept at using digital technologies, so when she came across non-fungible tokens she quickly figured they could be a way to reach more people, and for women artists to gain a bigger following.
Abidi, 25, who was born in Pakistan and migrated to the United States as a teenager, created her first NFT a few months ago - a type of asset which uses blockchain to record ownership of digital items such as images, videos and collectibles.
The U.K.-based activist is about to launch Women Rise, a campaign to bring 100,000 girls and women into cryptocurrency by the end of 2022.
She is one of a growing number of women artists, coders, entrepreneurs and investors embracing cryptocurrency and NFTs, and advocating for other women to join the blockchain movement and bridge the gender gap in this quickly expanding space. "When I first heard about blockchain, I didn't think it was for me. But I was attracted to the art, and realized artists can be a part of this, and that it can be an inclusive space for women and people of color," she said over a video call.
Continue reading: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/markets/cryptocurrency/crypto-queens-women-stake-out-space-in-blockchain-world/articleshow/87581833.cms

Attachments

• p0005642.m05299.blockchain_thinkstock.jpg
    p0005642.m05299.blockchain_thinkstock.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 42

How to Invest in Cryptocurrency Without Buying Any

Cryptocurrencies are inherently cryptic — it’s right there in the name. And if you follow Warren Buffett’s advice to never invest in businesses you can’t understand, it may be hard to justify investing in a currency made of math instead of gold.
But it’s also hard to ignore some cryptocurrencies’ astounding performance: The price of one bitcoin jumped from just under $5,000 in March 2020 to over $60,000 as of this April.
The excitement surrounding digital currency may leave some investors feeling like the lonely kid at the pool party, wanting to join their friends having fun in the deep end, but too nervous to jump in.
For those investors who are cautiously curious, here are ways to gain exposure to cryptocurrency without buying it, and if you do decide to purchase, how to lower your risk.
Invest in companies with cryptocurrency holdings
Think of this strategy as cryptocurrency investing once removed. Some publicly traded companies have cryptocurrency holdings. And because they are betting on its success, you can too, with those companies acting as a buffer.
Continue reading: https://www.kenoshanews.com/business/investment/how-to-invest-in-cryptocurrency-without-buying-any/article_746b991c-7849-5d04-bcac-0303714e30e6.html

Attachments

• p0005641.m05298.6189ba32f23ba_image.jpg
    p0005641.m05298.6189ba32f23ba_image.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: Brianna White

How blockchain could impact the education sector in the next five years

Blockchain, a term that was not commonly used a few years ago. Today, we hear a lot of it and its application in the financial sector. There have been instances where blockchain and cryptocurrency have been interchangeably used. Eg: Blockchain and Bitcoin.
Does blockchain have applications in other fields like education sector? The answer is Yes.
By their nature of being decentralized ledgers as well as being secure, Blockchain can find application in the healthcare, land documentation etc., including education.
The advantage of using blockchain in education, would be the security it provides to the data and can protect the data even if any specific node is compromised. Some of the areas in the education sector where Blockchain may impact the way of functioning could be:
1. Student records
One of the most labor-intensive activity of any institute or university, the student records, though digitized, could be benefitted by use of blockchain to update grades and issue transcripts and allow students to access their records securely.
2. Issue of degrees, diplomas
Moving from a paper degree or diploma document, the institute or university can store the student information on a blockchain.
Continue reading: https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/featurephilia/story/how-blockchain-could-impact-the-education-sector-in-the-next-five-years-1874422-2021-11-08

Attachments

• p0005640.m05297.blockchain_and_education.jpg
    p0005640.m05297.blockchain_and_education.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 44

Blockchain In Supply Chain

Is your supply chain ready for the blockchain?
Cryptocurrencies are the most commonly cited examples of blockchain's potential, but it's the technology itself that's attracting attention from those outside finance.
From increased security and visibility to tracking complex variables related to sustainability and ethical sourcing, blockchain is set to help procurement organizations in all industries lower their costs and improve performance while driving greater value for their companies.
The Blockchain Is Already Transforming Supply Chain Management
The core technology of the blockchain is the decentralized ledger, which records and protects transaction data shared among multiple parties. Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum and Dogecoin leverage the blockchain to theoretically allow infinite and anonymous parties to conduct transactions without the need for an intermediary. 
Continue reading: https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2021/11/08/blockchain-in-supply-chain/?sh=6f20f85b4e1a

Attachments

• p0005639.m05296.blockchain_in_supply_chain.jpg
    p0005639.m05296.blockchain_in_supply_chain.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 40

Privacy-Oriented Blockchain Setups Are The Future Of Blockchain Security

Not a lot of people would’ve envisaged that a seemingly intangible technology could be giving traditional finance serious competition.
Meanwhile, the advent of blockchain, a distributed ledger that maintains an ever-growing list of data blocks containing batches of transactions free from tampering, has revolutionized finance forever.
Its possibilities and limits are enormous and far-reaching. But the area that blockchain technology is providing much-needed solutions is in the security and privacy of user data.
Privacy is arguably one of the main selling points of blockchain technology. There’s a lot to be chipped in about it at a high level, especially with privacy-oriented blockchain firms like Manta Network, PARSIQ, and others stepping things up.
Continue reading: https://cryptonews.com/news/privacy-oriented-blockchain-setups-are-the-future-of-blockchain-security.htm

Attachments

• p0005638.m05295.picture1_media_library_original_975_531.png
    p0005638.m05295.picture1_media_library_original_975_531.png
    171.2 KB · Views: 36

How AI is boosting advertising’s value

For as long as digital and engineering progress have existed, people have approached the emergence of new technologies with resistance, skepticism and even fear.
This is true now of technologies including the internet, robotics, and artificial intelligence (AI).
With advancing technology allowing automation to replace jobs, algorithms to make decisions on behalf of humans, and machines to predict what your next purchase might be, it’s understandable that there is some social fear and unrest about today’s digital technologies.
Having worked with AI and machine learning technologies over the last decade, I know that we’re only just beginning to discover and apply their potential to improve and add value to our lives, particularly in advertising. Here’s a look at some of the ways AI is improving the advertising industry.
Evidence suggests that AI is creating more jobs than it is displacing
There’s now plenty of evidence showing that AI is creating more jobs than it is replacing. Continue reading: https://www.campaignasia.com/article/how-ai-is-boosting-advertisings-value/473703

Attachments

• p0005637.m05294.ai_in_advertising.jpg
    p0005637.m05294.ai_in_advertising.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 34

4 Benefits of Using AI in Cybersecurity

Cybersecurity best practices are greatly aided by using Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) technology, as shown by this sector’s growth. According to one study, the market for artificial intelligence in cybersecurity is expected to reach $46.3 billion by 2027.
AI drastically improves a business’s cybersecurity posture by applying the technology to help identify, isolate, or remediate potential cyber threats from penetrating a business’s network.
4 Benefits of Using Artificial Intelligence in Cybersecurity
Here are some of the tangible benefits AL/ML brings to cybersecurity:
The technology gets better over time: As AI/ML learns a business network’s behavior and recognizes patterns on the network over time, it becomes more difficult for hackers to penetrate a business’s network.
AI/ML can handle lots of data: NGFW firewalls scan hundreds of thousands of files daily with no degradation of service to the network users.
Faster detection and response time: Using AI/ML software in a firewall and anti-malware on a laptop or desktop is more effective and responsive to threats, limiting the need for human intervention.
Better overall security: AI/ML provides protection at the macro and micro levels, making it very difficult for malware to penetrate a business network. This frees up IT teams to deal with more complex threats, improving overall security posture.
Continue reading: https://www.cioinsight.com/security/artificial-intelligence-in-cybersecurity/

Attachments

• p0005636.m05293.drl_ica_91521_2_1024x683.jpeg
    p0005636.m05293.drl_ica_91521_2_1024x683.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 34

AI and Deep Learning

The horizon of what repetitive tasks a computer can replace continues to expand due to artificial intelligence (AI) and the sub-field of deep learning (DL)
Artificial intelligence gives a device some form of human-like intelligence.
Deep learning is an AI technology that has made inroads into mimicking aspects of the human brain — giving a device the ability to process information for contextual analysis and action.
Researchers continue to develop self-teaching algorithms that enable deep learning AI applications like chatbots.
To understand deep learning better, we need to understand it as part of the AI evolution:
The Path To Deep Learning And Reaching Full AI
Taking Machine Learning Farther
Within artificial intelligence, machine learning (ML) is a sub-field — and deep learning is an advanced sub-field of machine learning. In machine learning, a device is able to process and evaluate information beyond its programming based on context. An ML weakness stemming from polluted data sets comes from the fact that ML algorithms rely upon humans to supply the data: Humans categorize the information prior to training the algorithms or provide the algorithms with training feedback. Human subjectivity and biases subsequently creep into the algorithms.
Continue reading: https://www.datamation.com/artificial-intelligence/ai-and-deep-learning/

Attachments

• p0005635.m05292.artificial_intelligence_1_1024x393.jpeg
    p0005635.m05292.artificial_intelligence_1_1024x393.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 36

Like It Or Not, Artificial Intelligence Is Coming To Every Part Of Retail

When I talk to retailers about artificial intelligence, their eyes glaze over, like I’m speaking a foreign language and very few people want to talk about it. But it’s coming, it’s unavoidable. AI is going to pervade almost every aspect of retail, big and small.
Here's a case in point: The EPA estimates that a supermarket of 50,000 square feet, that's a large store but not excessively so, uses about $200,000 worth of electricity and natural gas in the course of a year. According to the EPA, about half of that cost is in refrigeration and lighting. Most such large stores have freezers that consumers go into to pick out their frozen food. But they also have a freezer in the back of the store that consumers don't see, where they keep their inventory. Now imagine this: the store hires a very smart young college graduate just to watch that freezer in the back. That employee's job is only to stand and watch the freezer door to minimize the number of times it gets opened and manage the thermostat accordingly to reduce the electrical cost. Over time, the employee learns how to make adjustments so that the door openings lead to the least amount of additional energy used to keep products cold.
Now imagine that instead of hiring a person, software could do the job. The software would have to learn how a store operates and the climate and temperature of the store region. That's the idea behind a company called COI Energy Services. In just a few hours, they can install and set up their software. Over a year's time, they will save a supermarket of 50,000 square feet $60,000 on their electric and gas costs, that’s 40% of their total costs. That's not theoretical, Publix Supermarkets, the fifth largest grocer in the country, uses the system and is rolling it out to all its stores.
Continue reading: https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardkestenbaum/2021/11/08/like-it-or-not-artificial-intelligence-is-coming-to-every-part-of-retail/?sh=f6c616a6c9f2

Attachments

• p0005634.m05291.ai_in_retail.jpg
    p0005634.m05291.ai_in_retail.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 38

Why Securing Your IoT Device Has Never Been More Important

In its analysis of the impact of COVID-19, consultancy McKinsey calculated that digital transformation programs accelerated by seven years in just a few months to meet customer demand. This, in turn, has fueled growth in IoT. Today, we’re seeing IoT finally come of age as enterprises move from experimentation to understanding how to deploy IoT.
Security of Device Cited as the Biggest Hurdle to Overcome
Research shows that organizations reap multiple benefits by embarking on IoT projects, including entering new markets and launching new product lines to disrupt business models and markets. However, while businesses can reap impressive benefits from IoT, adoption is not without its challenges. Again, in our research, over one-third of our survey respondents (39 percent) said the device’s security and the environment was the biggest hurdle they had to overcome, and 35 percent said that device onboarding and cellular connectivity had proved difficult.
So why is IoT security so problematic?
Continue reading: https://www.iotforall.com/why-securing-your-iot-device-has-never-been-more-important

Attachments

• p0005630.m05289.why_securing_your_iot_device_has_never_been_more_important_1_1024x768.jpg
    p0005630.m05289.why_securing_your_iot_device_has_never_been_more_important_1_1024x768.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 35

What's Working In Big Tech Really Like?

Technology is one of the most popular sectors for MBA grads. According to GMAC data, 39% of business school candidates want to enter the industry after their degree.
And big tech companies are major recruiters for business schools. Google, Amazon, and Microsoft all featured in our list of organizations hiring the most MBAs in 2020.
These companies promise exciting work at the cutting edge of tech—with high salaries and a range of enviable perks to boot. 
But what’s it really like to work in big tech as an MBA? To find out, BusinessBecause asked anonymous grads on Reddit who work in big tech firms to weigh in. Here’s what they said.

Your experience can vary widely even within the same company
As with any job, your experience in big tech will be heavily influenced by who you’re working with. According to Reddit users, MBAs working at Amazon tend to have a better experience in finance compared to product or project managers (PMs). 

Another user added that in other cases, these roles can be fulfilling—it all depends on your team. 
If you’re considering a career with Amazon yourself, be sure to get to know potential colleagues as best you can to ensure you’re in for a good fit, and ask plenty of questions about team culture as well as technical aspects of the job.

Standing out can be difficult
According to some commenters, making your mark at a big tech firm can be tricky—especially if you’re not used to self-promotion.  
They think this is because large teams and divisions make it difficult to stand out, so presenting the work you’re doing can be a really important aspect of the job.
Luckily, for MBA grads, presenting your work in an engaging way should become second nature, since most programs require you to give regular presentations and tell stories with data. 
Continue reading: https://www.businessbecause.com/news/from-forums/7824/working-in-big-tech

Attachments

• p0005628.m05287.working_in_big_business.png
    p0005628.m05287.working_in_big_business.png
    243.8 KB · Views: 47

‘Learn To Code’ Went From A Meme To The Flatiron School Teaching Average Americans To Become Well-Paid Tech Professionals

During a campaign rally back in 2019, then-Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden spoke to a crowd in a coal mining town. Advocating a green agenda, the audience was understandably unhappy. To console the coal miners, Biden offered some career advice: “Learn to code.”
Shortly after the comments were made by Biden, over 1,000 jobs in journalism were eliminated. The fired journalists shared their sad stories on Twitter. As former colleagues gave their condolences and offered job leads, there were many people mockingly tweeting the reporters, telling them that they should seek out a new profession and “learn to code.” 
Fast forward a few years and “learn to code” went from a derogatory meme battle between blue-collar miners and truckers and college-educated journalists to becoming a real career option for many people.
Software developers are the most desired employees in our rapidly changing digital economy. Take a look at any job board or online corporate career section and you’ll find a steady stream of job openings for coders.
Seeing a dire need for tech talent and large numbers of people wanting to switch careers, the Flatiron school offered an immersive bootcamp-type curriculum, focused on teaching people how to code. The irony is that only a few short years ago, it was considered a joke that the average working-class American could forsake their job and reinvent themselves as a tech professional. 
The educational facility is open to training people from all walks of life, no college degree or experience required. You do, however, need to have some aptitude, motivation and dedication. The roughly $16,900 price tag on a Flatiron bootcamp is much less than four years of college tuition. 
Continue reading: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkelly/2021/11/06/learn-to-code-went-from-a-meme-to-the-flatiron-school-teaching-average-americans-to-become-well-paid-tech-professionals/?sh=57e0aaeb1fa0

Attachments

• p0005627.m05286.learn_to_code_forbes.png
    p0005627.m05286.learn_to_code_forbes.png
    320.6 KB · Views: 37

Can Artificial Intelligence Save America From The Global Supply Chain Disaster?

The issue facing the world today is not simply “THE supply chain,” the issue is that nearly every single link in the supply chain is compromised. Human talent is less available and manufacturers fear this will become a permanent reality, even after the pandemic. Extreme weather events occur every month and the ongoing pandemic is also causing shortages of direct and indirect materials. In turn, shipping costs have risen sharply. The status of sheet metal, computer chips and all food ingredients are up in the air. Constraints on the supply of raw materials, including those needed for semiconductors, PPE and various plastics, have led to factory shutdowns. A chronic lack of truck drivers has every neighborhood filled empty store shelves staring back at its citizens. And, to no surprise, Inflation was just reported at 5.4%, which is a 13 year high.
Now consider that only 4% of supply chain leaders believe their operations are future ready. We are at the precipice of either complete disaster, or a brave new world.
How we got here has been hashed out and rehashed again and again. Yes, studies do need to be conducted on where every breakdown was, who should be held accountable and how. But, for the sake of my work here, I will focus on a solution moving forward to our current crises and prevention of the next supply chain catastrophe.
Continue reading: https://www.forbes.com/sites/markminevich/2021/11/05/can-artificial-intelligence-save-america-from-the-global-supply-chain-disaster/?sh=3869051db693

Attachments

• p0005626.m05285.ai_global_supply.jpg
    p0005626.m05285.ai_global_supply.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 38

How Young Is Too Young: AI For Children

The future where our cars will drive themselves or robots will conduct surgeries is closer than ever before. The age of AI has arrived and is impacting and changing the world in unpredictable ways. It is important to believe that while we are slowly getting accustomed to AI, the children now will be dependent on it.
Children are not just using AI and learning to interact with it, but already making it as well. In 2018, Tanmay Bakshi (then a 14-year-old) became popular as the little AI wonder who works with Google and IBM. He became the face of AI learning for children in India. In 2019, when Siddharth Srivastav Pilli, a class 7 boy, bagged a job as a data scientist with a software company in Hyderabad, AI for Kids became popular. Parents got really interested in teaching their children AI. India’s new National Education Policy 2020 did mention the importance of emerging technologies and introduced them to children.
Making AI Fun for Children  
AI as a subject is still far from being introduced in every school and in every education board’s syllabus in India. But, many edtech companies have introduced AI courses for children as young as 8-year-olds. “It’s a completely different ballgame when it comes to teaching kids artificial intelligence as compared to college students. The concept of AI itself is Greek and Latin to them, so the way the classes are delivered and the curriculum is designed is very different as compared to college students,” said Prabhakar Nadar, CEO, Edurific.
He also said that to teach children, they have to follow more practical applications without exposing them to the theory. “Kids get bored easily. We have to frame the classes so that they have an achievement-driven approach, or they can make something at the end of every few classes,” Nadar added. They start their AI classes by introducing children to basic AI applications like chatbots and then gamify the entire image recognition and other complex AI concepts, then move on to building basic algorithms and applications of AI.
Do Children Really Need to Learn AI?
While the edtech companies have figured out ways to teach children the technology, it surely remains a question whether children really need to learn AI.
Continue reading: https://analyticsindiamag.com/children/

Attachments

• p0005625.m05284.children_banner_11zon.jpg
    p0005625.m05284.children_banner_11zon.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 46

How do cryptocurrency projects differ from each other?

Since the advent of Bitcoin in 2009, the cryptocurrency market has grown indefinitely. The new concept took a few years to shoot but ever since then, it has not looked back. Bitcoin is the oldest, most popular, and most valuable cryptocurrency project in the market. It has built a strong community and presence in the sector. Bitcoin has also led the way for the development of other projects. This is why there are hundreds and thousands of altcoins in the market today.
Difference between Bitcoin and Altcoins
The dominance of Bitcoin in the crypto market is a known phenomenon, and no one has been able to challenge this dominance significantly. Nonetheless, the alternatives of Bitcoin are also becoming popular. These altcoins are aimed at resolving the loopholes found in Bitcoin and therefore, they use different encryption algorithms and protocols than Bitcoin.
Altcoins have a different take on privacy, stability, and alternative payment methods. Ethereum leads the altcoin market, and many other altcoins are built on the Ethereum blockchain. Other renowned names include Binance, Cardano, and Solana. There are over 9,000 in the cryptocurrency market currently, and many more are still in their trial stages.
Continue reading: https://techstory.in/how-do-cryptocurrency-projects-differ-from-each-other/

Attachments

• p0005624.m05283.unnamed_76.jpg
    p0005624.m05283.unnamed_76.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 40

Post-Covid blockchain opportunities

Despite the challenges of the ongoing pandemic, Block Tides, a company at the forefront of blockchain technology in the country, sees bright prospects in promoting blockchain in the mass market.
At its fifth anniversary celebration at the posh Okada Manila, Block Tides staged what is now being hailed as the first-ever NFT (non-fungible token) marketplace in the Philippines. The rising player in the blockchain community held the event for a cause in cooperation with Vention App. Event partners also included Gala Games, PlaceWar, LBank, Ace eWallet and GokuMarket.
The occasion gathered business innovation leaders to discuss how they can promote the emerging blockchain industry to revive the country's Covid-19-battered economy. On top of that was the twin initiative to directly assist people struggling amid the pandemic and to develop high-quality learning campaigns to boost blockchain in the country. The ensuing discussions led to unveiling the role of crypto adoption in banking and finance, decentralized finance, and NFTs, among other related concerns.
Continue reading: https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/11/07/business/sunday-business-it/post-covid-blockchain-opportunities/1821256

Attachments

• p0005623.m05282.24928.jpg
    p0005623.m05282.24928.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 46

Filter