• Welcome to the Online Discussion Groups, Guest.

Please introduce yourself here. We'd love to hear from you!

If you are a CompTIA member you can find your regional community here and get posting.

This notification is dismissable and will disappear once you've made a couple of posts.
  • We will be shutting down for a brief period of time on 9/24 at around 8 AM CST to perform necessary software updates and maintenance; please plan accordingly!

Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
Today’s Woman in Tech: Sveta Smirnova, Principal Support Engineering Coordinator, Percona
Sveta Smirnova is a MySQL Support Engineer with over 10 years of experience. She currently works in Percona. Her main professional interests are problem-solving, working with tricky issues, bugs, finding patterns that can solve typical issues quicker, teaching others how to deal with MySQL issues, bugs, and gotchas effectively. She is the author of the book “MySQL Troubleshooting” and JSON UDF functions for MySQL. Sveta has spoken at many events, including Fosdem, Percona Live, Oracle Open World.
When did you become interested in technology? What first got you interested in tech?
I believe around 1990 when I was in school. We were one of the first USSR generations who studied computer science in school. I wrote my first program and was amazed that I can do almost anything with this new toy.
How did you end up in your career path? What obstacles did you have to overcome?
After school, I tried to continue learning computer science at university. But I could not afford to buy my own computer and used only workstations provided by the university on a schedule. It was very weird: I was able to write some programs but did not know how to turn the computer on or off. So I quit. A few years later, my husband and I found that our business would not grow if we were not present on the Internet. At that time, asking someone to build a website for you was very expensive, so we decided to remember my past experience and do it on our own. That led to my own career working in the IT sector.
Continue reading: https://jaxenter.com/women-in-tech-smirnova-176420.html

Attachments

• p0006520.m06170.ek_wit_2048x848_60901_v1_smirnova_768x318.jpg
    p0006520.m06170.ek_wit_2048x848_60901_v1_smirnova_768x318.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Brianna White