• Welcome to the Online Discussion Groups, Guest.

Please introduce yourself here. We'd love to hear from you!

If you are a CompTIA member you can find your regional community here and get posting.

This notification is dismissable and will disappear once you've made a couple of posts.
  • We will be shutting down for a brief period of time on 9/24 at around 8 AM CST to perform necessary software updates and maintenance; please plan accordingly!

Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
Why the Tech world needs to change its approach and  fix its exclusionary attitude towards women in tech. In 2021 women make up 34% of the IT workforce in India and the country is now almost at a 50:50 gender parity rate in STEM graduates.
Do we still need to have the “women in tech’’ conversations?
Nobody says men in tech!
And yet, the answer is yes, albeit nuanced.
While as a society we must strive to reach a point where such distinction serves no purpose, we’re not there yet. Even though women’s participation in any sphere of economic activity and innovation is not a novelty, from Whitney Wolfe Herd, Anjali Sud to Falguni Nayar women’s contribution to technology is ubiquitous, their role and potential are often overshadowed by an army of male names and voices. Every generation of women bears responsibility in changing this mindset starting from schools to leadership roles.
Gender-based narratives around ability I have been fortunate in ways a lot of my non-male peers weren’t. I  grew up in a supportive family where almost all the women of my mother’s generation worked as teachers, doctors, biochemists, and more. I was never told I couldn’t do something because I was a girl, I was shown how to do it. Interests and hobbies weren’t forced on me based on my gender. Resultantly, I never learnt to doubt myself in the context of gender. My upbringing instilled in me the courage to pursue my goals and the confidence that I had the capability to overcome challenges I may face. But I am painfully aware that I am the exception, not the rule. Young girls are still being subjected to tropes that suggest that girls are somehow inherently weaker at math than boys or the science equivalents of it. Women are still being told that they must choose better suited “easier” options while every year high school results prove that girls are just as good, if not better.
Continue reading: https://www.shethepeople.tv/personal-stories/exclusionary-attitude-women-in-tech-seema-chawla/

Attachments

• p0005835.m05488.attitude_toward_wit.jpg
    p0005835.m05488.attitude_toward_wit.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: Brianna White