Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
Soon after she started her career in the manufacturing industry, Nuraizah Shamsul Baharin knew that she would one day start her own business. “I’d always wanted to do something that was my own. My friends and I often talked about how we should be business owners instead of working at the factory, so the six of us made a pact to do that someday. Three of us did that — including myself — but even then, I was so worried. Should I or should I not? That was when one of my friends’ dad gave me a good piece of advice: thinking about things will not move it forward, you have to actually take that step.”
She began her entrepreneurial journey in 2006, when an opportunity arose to acquire a technology company that was about to cease operations. Steadily, she grew the business into a company that was 17 times the net book value of the initial capital. In April 2011, she turned that business into Madcat World and has not looked back since.
Over the years, the company, which builds mobile apps, has received many accolades for its products and is today one of the leading providers of Islamic content and applications.
An electrical engineer by training, Nuraizah says technology has given her the opportunity to be a business owner. “My business exists because of technology. You are not seen based on your gender or your race or even your nationality. You are as good as your products — that is the true value that speaks on your behalf.”
Lim Li Sze, co-founder of Medical Innovation Ventures (Mediven), agrees. “It does not matter who the player is, but which product provides a better solution and is easier to use,” she adds. Lim, who has a doctorate in genetics, started the diagnostics company with Ariff Ismail — a former colleague at Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) — back in 2012.
Continue reading: https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/tech-women-and-nationbuilding

Attachments

• p0004512.m04186.20210826_tech_women.jpg
    p0004512.m04186.20210826_tech_women.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 72