• Welcome to the Online Discussion Groups, Guest.

Please introduce yourself here. We'd love to hear from you!

If you are a CompTIA member you can find your regional community here and get posting.

This notification is dismissable and will disappear once you've made a couple of posts.
  • We will be shutting down for a brief period of time on 9/24 at around 8 AM CST to perform necessary software updates and maintenance; please plan accordingly!
K

Kathleen Martin

A little about myself...
I transitioned into the technology industry from a non-technical background 12 months ago. I am now a Globant Rising Star in Tech U.K. winner, a Junior Software Engineer / Blockchain Developer, an Engineering mentor, a Co-Founder of an EdTech platform, and in the process of launching my own Blockchain Startup from 7th February 2022.
I love learning and focusing on self-development through reading, meditating, prayer, seeking knowledge, attending the gym daily and so much more. I really believe "You are who you are in this world, you're either somebody or nobody." It is so important for me to build and inspire others to leave their comfort zone and achieve whatever they set their mind to.
My journey into tech so far as a self-taught engineer...
I actually come from a sales and fundraising background, I don’t have a degree; In fact, I dropped out of law school during the second year of university funnily enough. During the pandemic, I decided to change careers because I wanted to be part of the future and also make a huge impact in the world. I could see that technology was ever-evolving and it would allow me to grow to lengths I never thought was possible.
I remember making LinkedIn and started messaging anyone who had ‘software engineer’ or ‘blockchain engineer’ as their job title, due to the fact I was obsessed with blockchain technology at the time and I really wanted to get into it. After 100s of messages, I met some amazing people who directed me in the right direction and provided me with some great resources.
This led to a lot of self-learning and boot camps, In 12 months I completed a few Udemy courses on Python programming, Web Development, and Ethereum Development. I completed the Sky Software Engineering Academy May 2021, CodeFirstGirls Software Engineering Nanodegree January 2022, and Consensys Blockchain Development Academy recently. I landed my first Software Engineering role at a leading bank in the U.K. and I have been accepted onto an accelerator program starting the 7th of February which will aid in the launch of my own Tech Startup.
What I am trying to say is anything is possible. I set a goal to become an award-winning engineer by the end of 2021 and a woman of inspiration in technology and become part of the 0.1% of the world who code, and I did that in less than 12 months.
No degree. No handout. Just a foster kid who believed in herself. I just decided to use my mind and have faith in God and myself.
Continue reading: https://medium.com/@asiasharif12/tech-newbie-to-an-award-winning-engineer-in-less-than-12-months-8aa162f3d8f4

Attachments

• p0006576.m06224.1_go3lvibishc6cwpjwzfh8q_2x.jpeg
    p0006576.m06224.1_go3lvibishc6cwpjwzfh8q_2x.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Kathleen Martin