• Welcome to the Online Discussion Groups, Guest.

Please introduce yourself here. We'd love to hear from you!

If you are a CompTIA member you can find your regional community here and get posting.

This notification is dismissable and will disappear once you've made a couple of posts.
  • We will be shutting down for a brief period of time on 9/24 at around 8 AM CST to perform necessary software updates and maintenance; please plan accordingly!

Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
Chemical engineering senior Haley Fuller has been around STEM her entire life. Despite coming from a family of engineers, Fuller will be the first female engineer in her family when she graduates.
Engineering and other STEM subjects are among the most male-dominated majors, with more women entering the field in recent years. Still, women's enrollment in these disciplines remains low.
According to a table found on LSU’s website that breaks up each department by gender for the fall 2022 semester, women make up 706 of the 3,134 students in the engineering department or less than 23% of the college.
Fuller enjoys her major but has experienced backlash from men in her field, including a professor.
“I actually had a discrimination remark made towards me my sophomore year, telling me that I'd be better off not in engineering because I'm a woman, and all kinds of other things,” Fuller said, noting that the professor who made these comments no longer works at LSU.
The professor would often put down female students and disregard their questions, Fuller said.
“I know a lot of other women have had that same issue. Anytime a question was brought up, [the professor] would completely ignore it if it was a woman who asked. But if a guy asked the same question, it was the best question,” Fuller added. “So that class, I ended up dropping… It was very frustrating.”
Fuller has been interning at the Department of Energy since January. While working at the headquarters in New Mexico, she noticed that she was surrounded entirely by men.
Continue reading: https://www.lsureveille.com/news/if-you-can-see-it-you-can-be-it-student-organizations-work-to-empower-women/article_1bcc3eb8-3624-11ed-bfb0-0ff89cc11449.html

Attachments

• p0009007.m08589.632520298fba0_image.jpg
    p0009007.m08589.632520298fba0_image.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 68