• Welcome to the Online Discussion Groups, Guest.

Please introduce yourself here. We'd love to hear from you!

If you are a CompTIA member you can find your regional community here and get posting.

This notification is dismissable and will disappear once you've made a couple of posts.
  • We will be shutting down for a brief period of time on 9/24 at around 8 AM CST to perform necessary software updates and maintenance; please plan accordingly!
K

Kathleen Martin

The sound of several small propellers buzz from above. You spot the drone in the sky. At first glance, it’s like any drone you’ve seen before. But with a double take, you realize this isn’t the DJI Mavic mini your roommate takes on vacation. 
It’s called the hexacopter, and it plays a pivotal role in the military-funded undergraduate research on unmanned aerial systems (UAS) being done at UP. 
“It started in the summer of 2019,” assistant professor of engineering and former U.S. military engineer Christina Ivler said. “I had four students working with me and we started to develop infrastructure for allowing us to do testing. I have a small unmanned aerial helicopter, a hexacopter, that I fly.” 
That infrastructure is what Ivler’s research with senior mechanical engineering major Kate Russell has been building on. Ivler and Russell are working on designing and developing requirements for unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) — put simply, drones — similar in function to the requirements established by the Federal Aviation Administration for aircraft and helicopters. 
Continue reading: https://www.upbeacon.com/article/2022/03/drones-science-and-women-in-stem

Attachments

• p0007292.m06940.7a3cef4d_d6ef_401c_8bbb_5555855fc3a9_sized_1000x1000.jpg
    p0007292.m06940.7a3cef4d_d6ef_401c_8bbb_5555855fc3a9_sized_1000x1000.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 31