• Welcome to the Online Discussion Groups, Guest.

Please introduce yourself here. We'd love to hear from you!

If you are a CompTIA member you can find your regional community here and get posting.

This notification is dismissable and will disappear once you've made a couple of posts.
  • We will be shutting down for a brief period of time on 9/24 at around 8 AM CST to perform necessary software updates and maintenance; please plan accordingly!

Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
These days there are far more women working in engineering and to celebrate International Women in Engineering Day, we’re going to talk to two women who’ve undertaken a software engineering course at the Holberton School in Melbourne Australia.
For many women initially – a career as a software engineer can seem too challenging but this didn’t deter Gem and Cienna. Even though software engineering is an area where there’s traditionally far more men than women, Gem and Cienna chose to take up software engineering as a career path at the Holberton School. In Australia, we are currently experiencing a tech skills shortage so more women are being encouraged to consider software engineering as a career.
Here at Women Love Tech, we asked Gem and Cienna first how they’re going to celebrate International Women in Engineering day tomorrow?
Cienna says: “Good question. I think I’m going to celebrate this day by doing the thing that makes me part of women in engineering – which is to work on my Holberton projects – because I actually really love to code. Later in the day, I’m going to catch up with my classmates and other women in the cohort to hangout and talk about this whole journey because, yes, we’ve been through a lot. It’s good to reflect on our journey and talk about we how we can achieve our goals going forward. So, hopefully by the next International Women in Engineering day, we will have some stories to tell!”
Gem adds: “Well, for me, I think I’m going to try and recommend pursuing a career in tech with Holberton to more of my friends, even classmates from previous programs. I really believe in the program and would love to help more women looking to get into tech.”
Then we asked them why they thought working in software engineering was a good choice for them.
Gem – who is 27 years old – said that before she started studying at Holberton, she studied arts and marketing at Monash University. Cienna is 24 years old and she’d been working full-time as a nurse for over two years. She told us: “I never thought I would switch my career to software engineering, but I had a chance and then I just took the leap – took the opportunity. And here I am doing whole buttons and I love it.”
Continue reading: https://womenlovetech.com/celebrating-international-women-in-engineering-day-tomorrow/

Attachments

• p0008353.m07975.engineering_day.jpg
    p0008353.m07975.engineering_day.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: Brianna White