• Welcome to the Online Discussion Groups, Guest.

Please introduce yourself here. We'd love to hear from you!

If you are a CompTIA member you can find your regional community here and get posting.

This notification is dismissable and will disappear once you've made a couple of posts.
  • We will be shutting down for a brief period of time on 9/24 at around 8 AM CST to perform necessary software updates and maintenance; please plan accordingly!

Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
Five years ago, Nishi Kaura’s family vacation to India included a visit to a girls orphanage. Meeting some of the girls and learning that they wanted to pursue careers in tech and achieve financial independence, Nishi was inspired to help.
She started small, with fundraising efforts and spreading online awareness about technical education for underserved groups. After raising a few thousand dollars, Nishi donated resources such as laptops and developed technical literacy curriculums to teach the girls. Nishi continued supporting the girls for the next few years by teaching technical literacy.
WHAT INSPIRES YOU TO VOLUNTEER?
After meeting the girls at the orphanage, I realized that taking collective action towards making technology equitable is so important to unlocking the futures of underserved people, especially women.
Seeing the enthusiasm in the girls’ eyes and knowing the obstacles they faced to a fulfilling and prosperous life, I was inspired to create ChiCode, a tech-forward nonprofit that aims to dismantle existing societal barriers surrounding minority groups in tech.
DESCRIBE YOUR VOLUNTEER ROLE WITH CHICODE.
I am head of the Social Media and Workshops department. I founded the podcast segment and developed the Intro to Java, Advanced Java and Slides Presentations courses.
ChiCode has worked with 300+ students from over 13+ countries with the support of ten companies. We have worked with many different underrepresented groups in tech including migrant domestic workers in Singapore, refugee women from Iran and Congo living in Greece, South Africa women, people from villages in Brazil and more.
Continue reading: https://www.pointsoflight.org/awards/a-bright-new-future-starts-by-empowering-girls-in-the-tech-space/

Attachments

• p0008949.m08535.nishi_kaura_daily_point_of_light_award_honoree_2.png
    p0008949.m08535.nishi_kaura_daily_point_of_light_award_honoree_2.png
    307.2 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: Brianna White