• Welcome to the Online Discussion Groups, Guest.

Please introduce yourself here. We'd love to hear from you!

If you are a CompTIA member you can find your regional community here and get posting.

This notification is dismissable and will disappear once you've made a couple of posts.
  • We will be shutting down for a brief period of time on 9/24 at around 8 AM CST to perform necessary software updates and maintenance; please plan accordingly!
K

Kathleen Martin

The theme of this year’s International Women’s Day is “Break the Bias,” a nod toward overcoming challenges associated with stereotypes and discrimination in the workplace. CompTIA has many resources to help female workers support each other and provide guidance to advance their careers and businesses, including the Advancing Women in Technology Interest Group and the Advancing Tech Talent and Diversity community.
We asked several CompTIA volunteer leaders to share their stories and offer encouragement while trying to bring about change. Here’s what they had to say:
Numbers Don’t Lie: Surpassing Sales Quotas Earned Promotions
“I worked in sales which can be a great equalizer. Since sales requires you to make a number based on a quota, if you do that, you could be different. In my case, I believe I was accepted into technical sales (which was made up predominately of white males) because I was able to excel based on pure numbers. There was no objectivity, just subjectivity. No bias when can deliver 200% of quota or more. I was blessed to come up through the ranks in technology sales, it would have been different for me in other disciplines I am sure of it.” – Tina Gravel, senior vice president of channels and alliance, AppGate, and member of CompTIA’s Advancing Tech Talent and Diversity Community’s executive council
Mentorship Can Bring Change, Much-Needed Support
“Women continue to make major advances in the workplace. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, women accounted for 51.8% of all workers employed in management, professional, and related occupations in 2019. To continue this positive progress, we need to make a proactive effort to elevate other women and act as role models.
“I am 10 years into my IT career and got to where I am today through quality leadership. It is important that we provide that same mentorship to other women who are starting their career. For women out there that have already advanced in their career, make a conscious effort to support other women. Give them guidance and a voice. Working together we can break the bias and drive positive change!” – Hannah O’Donnell, director of sales at Collabrance and a CompTIA Managed Services Community executive council member
Don’t Be Afraid to Ask for Help to Find Your Strength
“When it comes to breaking the bias, my biggest piece of advice is that when you can’t see your own successes, find someone that can lend you their strength and belief for a bit until you can find it yourself. I will always be that cheerleader for anyone who needs it because I believe that everyone has great potential to do big things” – Carrie Green, vice president of strategy at Alt-Tech, a Sherwood Park, Alberta-based solution provider, and an executive council member of CompTIA’s Canadian Business Technology Community
Continue reading: https://connect.comptia.org/blog/breaking-the-bias-female-tech-leaders-share-how-they-overcame-adversity-to-find-success

Attachments

• p0007217.m06869.iwd_breakthebias.jpg
    p0007217.m06869.iwd_breakthebias.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: Kathleen Martin