• Welcome to the Online Discussion Groups, Guest.

Please introduce yourself here. We'd love to hear from you!

If you are a CompTIA member you can find your regional community here and get posting.

This notification is dismissable and will disappear once you've made a couple of posts.
  • We will be shutting down for a brief period of time on 9/24 at around 8 AM CST to perform necessary software updates and maintenance; please plan accordingly!

Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
Joanne Wong, Vice President, International Markets, LogRhythm, tells Intelligent CIO about the challenges of being a working mother in the male-dominated IT industry.

You never planned to be a technology leader so how did it happen?
Indeed, I was trained as a lawyer and spent the first years of my career working at a law firm.
My big break in my tech career happened when I joined Business Software Alliance – a non-profit organization – back in 1998, as an anti-piracy and marketing manager.
This built a strong foundation for my next role at Microsoft, where I oversaw IP compliance and anti-piracy programs, before expanding into various business growth roles within the company.
A six-year stint in various marketing roles at SAP followed, and today, I go to work as the Vice President of International Markets at LogRhythm, where I oversee the overall marketing, as well as media and analyst relation efforts in APAC and EMEA.
What challenges have you faced as a woman in technology and a working mother in a male-dominated industry?
When I first became a new mother, I was very conscious of what my male counterparts might think: would they judge me for being less of a team player and for not pulling my weight?
This anxiety led me to cut short my paid maternity leave to resume work. Looking back, I realized that my actions may have subconsciously pressured other women to do the same.
My experience has made me empathize with women who continue to feel an unspoken burden and judgement for their choices – even if they are well within their rights.
That said: I believe that we are seeing positive changes within the industry, as more women come on board to take on roles within the IT industry. Organizations increasingly recognize the need to make diversity and inclusion central to their talent management strategy, with many stepping up efforts to support and empower women to excel in the workplace.
This is a good start, but beyond one-off initiatives, the industry will need to commit to a cultural shift in the long-haul to be able to effect lasting change in the workplace.
Continue reading: https://www.intelligentcio.com/apac/2022/02/28/success-in-the-tech-sector-is-within-reach-for-women/

Attachments

• p0007119.m06773.adobestock_89265478_1000.jpg
    p0007119.m06773.adobestock_89265478_1000.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: Brianna White