• Welcome to the Online Discussion Groups, Guest.

Please introduce yourself here. We'd love to hear from you!

If you are a CompTIA member you can find your regional community here and get posting.

This notification is dismissable and will disappear once you've made a couple of posts.
  • We will be shutting down for a brief period of time on 9/24 at around 8 AM CST to perform necessary software updates and maintenance; please plan accordingly!

Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
So often, we hear about the need or want for more women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). Colleges call for more women to take STEM subjects in third-level education. Industry tells us we need to increase the number of women in STEM. Women go into schools encouraging girls to consider STEM careers.
For most of my working life, I have advocated for girls and women to consider STEM careers and, in particular, careers in computing, because I think it is really important. I do this with Lero, the University of Limerick, Women in Technology and Science (WITS), and through the Johnson & Johnson Women in STEM D (STEM with Manufacturing and Design) project in Lero/UL.
But, do people know the reasons why there is such interest in promoting STEM to girls? Do people understand why this is important? Or, is this just another ‘equality’ fad?
Reason 1: The Individual
There are many girls and women who are talented in STEM disciplines. They have developed skills throughout their lives, within their homes and their schools. They may have enjoyed STEM with their peers, created volcano experiments on their front lawns, attended CoderDojo on Saturday mornings, or participated in events such as the Irish Computer Society-Lero SCRATCH programming competition.
Continue reading: https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40766418.html

Attachments

• p0006213.m05871.2787363_11_articlelarge_stem_20subjects_20at_20elphin_20community_20college.jpg
    p0006213.m05871.2787363_11_articlelarge_stem_20subjects_20at_20elphin_20community_20college.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Brianna White